UX Researcher (Specific to Northeast USA)
United States · Remote
Posted on Thursday, February 8, 2024
Marigold Health is looking for a UX Researcher to lead user experience research for the platform that powers our virtual mental health and substance use recovery program. Marigold provides a combination of 1-1 coaching and 24/7 anonymous chat support groups accessed over phone, SMS, and app/web. Working with our product, data science and clinical operations, you will use quantitative and qualitative methods to gain insights from our members that inform the core direction and user experience of our product. You will help us build a community for mutual support among high-risk individuals and vulnerable populations. You will play a key role in contributing to the strategy and roadmap for building version 3.0 of our product offering. You’ll communicate directly with members through interviews, focus groups, and surveys. Your ultimate responsibility will be to help the product team uncover and better understand the needs and wants of the members and peers who use our product, so that we can support and retain them as effectively as possible.
Marigold Health exists to give every person with a mental health or substance use condition a place to feel heard. We have designed an asynchronous-first treatment program where patients support each other. We believe peers, individuals in recovery themselves who have received training to support others, can empower & engage those least likely to interact with current forms of care.
What You'll Do
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define research objectives
- Independently lead research projects
- Conduct interviews on-site, observe user behavior in the platform, and rapidly test hypotheses
- Provide insights into member and peer needs for designers and engineers
- Produce reports of research findings for product improvements
- Create a pipeline for UX research
- Translate research insights into low fidelity designs and mockups
- Help lead A/B testing and usability testing of low fidelity designs
- Work with design team to create high-fidelity, engineering-ready designs
- Support our peer team to ensure deep, cohesive understanding of the Marigold product offering and how we can best serve members
- Bring a perspective on recovery and mental health to the design of new digital interventions, technology tools, and trainings
- Document and communicate research summaries and insights to internal stakeholders. Lean on those learnings to recommended changes to features and the overall product roadmap
- Work with design, development and other members of the product team to drive product development forward. Participate in building and managing the product roadmap while representing the voice of the member
- Help the Product team communicate product updates and features to internal stakeholders through product documentation, demos, and trainings
Reporting, Schedule and Location
- This is a U.S. based, remote, full-time role reporting to our Chief of Staff, Product. Most team members work virtually from home and are located on the east coast and internationally. You can work from nearly anywhere on the east coast of the US, but location in Delaware; Washington, DC; Massachusetts; New York; Connecticut; or Rhode Island is preferred. Travel to peer support sites in those locations will be a component of this role; expect up to 20% of your time to be spent traveling or conducting in-person research. All travel costs will be covered by the company. If you prefer in-person work for any portion of the week, we currently have offices in Delaware and Massachusetts. You should expect to be available during east coast hours.
- A burning desire to improve mental health care for patients
- 4-7 years full-time experience conducting UX Research to design and iterate on a software product
- Experience working on a software product in the mental health space strongly preferred
- Strong core UX research skills including experience conducting user interviews in the field and remotely - this is a hands-on role
- Product management skillset - while research-focused, a component of this role is prioritizing a research backlog based on business needs
- A strong understanding of information hierarchies, and the research challenges in expressing complex ideas virtually
- Establish an agile process for collecting continual user research and systematically dealing with bias in research findings
- Ability to think strategically about how to make meaningful improvements to user experiences in imperfect situations
- Experience collecting relevant feedback on a novel product with few direct substitutes
- Familiarity with ethnographic methods to understand cultural nuances between users
- Demonstrated patience and compassion in uncovering insights into a highly stigmatized topic
- An ability to balance long-term foundational research with rapid directional research
- Comfort working collaboratively with a high degree of autonomy and initiative
- The ability to prioritize and act with conviction in an environment of uncertainty
- Good contact skills to interface with providers, patients, and healthcare executives during the design process
- Strong skills in research-design/development handoffs
- Experience translating research insights to low-fidelity mockups is strongly preferred
- Location in Delaware, Massachusetts orRhode Island is preferred, in order tofacilitatedirect accessibility to Marigold members
- Experience working as a Certified Peer Specialist and/or Recovery Coach
- Personal lived experience with mental health and/or substance use conditions
- Previous experience at a mid-stage startup
- Previous experience working on UX for a social networks or online community
- Previous experience working on a healthcare-focused product
Who You Are
- Motivated by our mission to give every single patient with a mental health condition a unique voice
- Professional and patient when interacting with internal and external stakeholders
- Proactive in self-directing your work to areas of high impact
- Methodical and organized within an unstructured environment
- Prompt, responsiveand communicative, especially about new things
- Empathetic, curious, and driven to ask the right questions and find the best solutions
Why You'll Love This Role
- Ability to leverage your skills to support an overlooked population
- Direct involvement with saving lives by deploying a first-of-its-kind treatment model
- Scalable impact as we grow nationally, using technology to expand our reach
- Contribute to and gain expertise from a diverse, interdisciplinary team that includes clinicians, data scientists, and peer workers
Compensation, Benefits and Culture
- The base salary range for this role is $110,000-$125,000, depending on experience. This role will also include significant equity.
- Comprehensive healthcare coverage, including fully covered premiums for individuals (with the option to cover dependents for a cost) and a dedicated mental health benefit
- 4 weeks of PTO
- Computer and equipment provided
- Company travel budget and professional development budget as needed
After you submit your application, it will be reviewed by the hiring manager and select members of the team. If it seems like we’re a good fit for each other, we will follow up and schedule a 15-30 minute phone call with one of our teammates to get to know you.
If we jointly decide to move forward, you can plan to (virtually) attend a 45-minute video interview with a member of our Product Team. The final stage would be to meet (2-4) other members of the team via video conference for additional conversations about your approach to collaboration, your relevant experience to current projects, and alignment with our values. All in, you can expect the time commitment for this stage to be 3-4 hours of synchronous interaction, scheduled to fit your needs.
If you complete interviews, we will provide a decision or clear next step within five business days.
We are ready to hire as soon as we find the right candidate. We can’t wait to meet you!
More about Our Company:
Marigold Health is an early-stage, rapidly growing startup providing services for a range of community based mental health and substance use treatment providers as well as national health insurers. We collaborate with eminent investigators at Brown University and Johns Hopkins and have been publicly recognized by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) and the American Psychiatric Association.
Our program is a combination of 1-1 coaching and 24/7 anonymous chat support groups accessed over phone, SMS, and app/web. On the backend, proprietary natural language processing tools scale our peer workforce by augmenting group moderation, automating patient outreach, and sending sentiment-based “alerts” to coordinate care with other providers. Following strong results from our first clinical studies, we are entering a period of rapid growth, and expect to expand from 2 states today to 12 by this time next year.
Our core values are authenticity, candor, and ambition. Inclusion is at the core of what we do. We’re working to bring care to the most underserved and stigmatized patients. We actively welcome applicants from a wealth of different backgrounds (including but not limited to race, gender, educational background, and sexual orientation). We must have diversity on our team and in our mindsets to be successful in moving the needle on the deeply entrenched and systematic challenges we face.
Marigold Health is an equal opportunity employer.