Senior Commercial Applications Specialist
Elegen is blazing a path towards a biology-based economy with a highly innovative approach to DNA synthesis that delivers an industry leading length of 7kb in 7 business days with a 99.999% per base accuracy. Our multidisciplinary team of best-in-class biologists, chemists, hardware, and software engineers apply cutting-edge technologies and methods to solve critical bottlenecks in synthetic biology workflows to help our customers in pharma, biotech, agbio, and biomanufacturing streamline their work and realize the full potential of programmable biology.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing company at an early stage and to have an impact on the development of its products, markets, processes, people, and culture.
We are seeking an experienced Senior Commercial Applications Scientist to lead the development of content demonstrating the use of Elegen products in scientific applications with a focus on biopharma audiences. The principal focus of the role is to plan and execute scientific experiments both independently and collaboratively to support sales and marketing objectives. As a lead applications scientist, you will be expected to lead the definition, development, and execution of an applications development plan designed to produce data and content compelling to researchers in the target applications and markets for Elegen products. You will also be expected to take a hands-on role in the laboratory, participate in technical discussions with customers, and serve as a technical expert to internal teams. You will be expected to track and report on key performance indicators related to application development deliverables. You will also provide strategic input to ongoing market research and product planning.
A successful applicant will need to demonstrate extensive knowledge of the synthetic biology market with an emphasis on synthetic DNA applications and have experience thriving in a dynamic and rapidly evolving organization that requires individuals to work proactively and independently across a diverse range of tasks to exceed goals despite having limited resources.
- Development and execution of an application development roadmap.
- Work cross-functionally as needed to execute experiments that demonstrate the successful use of Elegen products in real-world, scientific applications.
- Serve as an expert in the scientific application of Elegen’s products in commercial discussions involving internal stakeholders and external partners and customers.
- Support the sales team for technical assistance in pre-sales customer interactions.
- Lead and support commercial collaborations with Elegen partners, KOLs, and customers.
- Demonstrate a bias for action and results but with careful attention to detail.
- Remain appropriately reactive and responsive, taking full responsibility to resolve issues and regain momentum.
- Serve as subject matter expert to support the creation of sales and marketing collateral.
- Analyze scientific research trends to identify opportunities and deficits. Report insights regularly to senior leadership and marketing teams.
- Present scientific content to customers in webinars, seminars, conferences, and small meetings.
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of a graduate degree in life sciences or a related field
- 4+ years of applications scientist experience in the life sciences industry, with preference given to candidates with strong experience in synthetic biology applications.
- In-depth understanding of fundamental molecular biology principles and common genomics research tools and techniques.
- In-depth understanding of scientific workflows and equipment for common genomics and synthetic biology applications.
- Experience with common methods for molecular cloning, PCR, qPCR, NGS, and gene editing.
- Experience developing, reviewing, and executing experimental plans.
- Experience conducting research through scientific publications, with the ability to synthesize, summarize, and report analyses.
- Experience in global, cross-functional teams.
- Detail-oriented with effective time and project management skills.
- Excellent written, presentation, communication, and collaboration skills with experience presenting to diverse scientific and business audiences.
- Travel up to 25%
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Experience developing application content to market products in the synthetic biology market.
- Experience conducting experiments to support the development of cell and gene therapy.
- Experience with DNA synthesis methods.
- 5+ years in a commercial role within life sciences.
Salary and Benefits:
The annual base salary compensation for this role, if based in California is: $130,000 - $160,000. Compensation may be different in other locations. Final compensation also includes bonus, equity and benefits. Specific offer packages are determined by multiple factors, including candidate skill, experience, expertise, and location.
✓ Healthcare ✓ Dental ✓ Vision ✓ Learning Allowance
✓ 401K ✓ Flexible PTO ✓ Short Term Disability ✓ Fitness Allowance
About The Company:
Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is well-capitalized by top life science investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, and KdT. The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs, including Dr. Marc Unger, inventor of the Nanoflex™ valve, and former CSO of Fluidigm. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $350 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.
Elegen is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Elegen provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law. All applicants have rights under the following Federal Employment Laws: