Production Supervisor / Manager - Plasmids and Long DNA
Elegen is blazing a path towards a biology-based economy with a highly innovative approach to DNA synthesis that delivers an industry leading length of 7kb in 7 business days with a 99.999% per base accuracy. Our multidisciplinary team of best-in-class biologists, chemists, hardware, and software engineers apply cutting-edge technologies and methods to solve critical bottlenecks in synthetic biology workflows to help our customers in pharma, biotech, agbio, and biomanufacturing streamline their work and realize the full potential of programmable biology.
We are seeking a dynamic Production Supervisor to champion the success and efficiency of our long DNA and Plasmid (PLD) synthesis processes. Your role will encompass supporting new technology transfer from R&D to production for PLD (Plasmid and Long DNA), adeptly managing manufacturing batches, personnel, and shipping schedules, fostering collaboration with cross-functional teams, and providing inspirational leadership to our production associates. Your contributions will significantly enhance the overall productivity and resilience of our production operations.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a highly motivated team leader looking to join a uniquely innovative, rapidly moving, high impact start-up. In addition to taking on the challenges of managing our production team, you will help us establish a strong culture of mutual respect, integrity, and collaboration while working alongside some of Silicon Valley’s best scientists and engineers, and professionals.
- Lead Production Operation of PLD: In partnership with the R&D team, implement new processes in production, set throughput, cost, and quality goals for production operations and streamline and optimize production processes.
- Timely Manufacturing of PLD: Manage batch and personnel schedules to ensure the timely manufacturing of PLD products. Coordinate with relevant teams to optimize efficiency and meet production targets. Assist in scheduling shipping and customer manifest generation.
- Strain banking and retrieval: Establish strain banking and retrieval systems to minimize errors and ensure timely and organized preparation for the manufacturing process.
- Data Analysis: Perform preliminary analysis of the production data. Keep a detailed laboratory notebook and upload data in relevant databases.
- Process Improvements: Collaborate closely with the Process Development (PD) and Research and Development (RD) teams to drive process improvements.
- Team Management: Manage a small team of production associates, providing guidance, training, and support as needed. Ensure effective communication, teamwork, and adherence to safety and quality standards.
- Troubleshooting and Weekend Support: Provide troubleshooting assistance to address any production issues that may arise. Additionally, offer support over the weekend to maintain production continuity and resolve any urgent matters.
Essential Candidate Profile:
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field (such as Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, or a related discipline)
- 2+ years of experience as production lead or manufacturing role in life sciences
- Strong knowledge and working experience in PCR, restriction digest, gel electrophoresis, transformation, mini and maxiprep and DNA quantification in low and high throughput environment
- Experience with lab automation and liquid handling robots like Tecan, Hamilton, Multi flow, Bravo etc
- Experience with new product implementation, operational scaling and training operators
- Strong problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
- Data tracking and managing via LIMS, Excel and google sheet
Preferred Candidate Qualifications:
- Experience designing and constructing plasmids using Gibson assembly and Golden Gate assembly
- Experience handling variety of vector backbones
- Experience monitoring microbial growth and activity
- Proven ability to manage production batches and personnel schedules effectively
- Support lab execution preliminary and if needed in future
- Experience in data analysis and reporting
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills to work effectively with cross-functional teams
- Previous experience in managing a team
- Availability to provide support over the weekend as needed
Salary and Benefits:
The annual base salary compensation for this role, based in California is: $120,000 - $145,000. Final compensation also includes bonus, equity and benefits. Specific offer packages are determined by multiple factors, including candidate skill, experience, expertise, and location.
✓ Healthcare ✓ Dental ✓ Vision ✓ Learning Allowance
✓ 401K ✓ Flexible PTO ✓ Short Term Disability ✓ Fitness Allowance
About The Company:
Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is well-capitalized by top life science investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, and KdT. The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs, including Dr. Marc Unger, inventor of the Nanoflex™ valve, and former CSO of Fluidigm. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $350 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.
Elegen is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Elegen provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law. All applicants have rights under the following Federal Employment Laws: