Research Associate, Molecular Biology
Elegen is blazing a path towards a biology-based economy with a highly innovative approach to DNA synthesis that delivers an industry leading length of 7kb in 7 business days with a 99.999% per base accuracy. Our multidisciplinary team of best-in-class biologists, chemists, hardware, and software engineers apply cutting-edge technologies and methods to solve critical bottlenecks in synthetic biology workflows to help our customers in pharma, biotech, agbio, and biomanufacturing streamline their work and realize the full potential of programmable biology.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and self-driven candidate to get in near the ground floor of a fast moving, very high impact start-up. In addition to working on cutting edge technology, they would help us establish a strong culture of mutual respect, integrity, and collaboration while working alongside some of Silicon Valley’s best scientists and engineers.
This Research Associate within the Applications team will support early-access programs and allow our customers to benefit from our latest technology advances. The candidate will gain significant exposure to important concepts in product development, such as statistical design-of-experiment analyses, failure mode analyses, and limit studies that are applicable to launching products in biotechnology and beyond.
- Independently execute and troubleshoot molecular biology projects to support the Applications team, at the interface of Production and R&D.
- Carry out experiments under standard operating procedures and gather data in a systematic manner with good laboratory practices.
- Prepare and clearly communicate experimental methodology and data summaries.
- Propose and implement optimization and improvements for benchtop workflows.
- Partner with scientists to improve analytical methods for QC of molecular biology protocol steps.
- Ability to multitask and adapt to changing priorities as needed.
Essential Candidate Profile:
- BA or MS biology or a related field with 1+ years of laboratory experience.
- Previous experience in molecular biology techniques such as cloning, PCR. and gel electrophoresis.
- Experience with DNA handling, quantification, and purification.
- Proficiency in data recording and analysis using Excel.
- Demonstrated eagerness to enhance one’s scientific skills and knowledge by seeking deep understanding of biological processes.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong track record of working in a highly collaborative environment on multidisciplinary projects.
Preferred Candidate Qualifications:
- Extensive hands-on experience with PCR and troubleshooting molecular biology workflows.
- Previous experience with NGS workflows including library preparation.
- Experience with automated liquid handling systems.
- Experience in design of experiments and statistical data analysis.
- Proficiency in data recording and analysis using Python.
Salary and Benefits:
The annual base salary compensation for this role, if based in California is: $66,000 - $93,000. Compensation may be different in other locations. Final compensation also includes bonus, equity and benefits. Specific offer packages are determined by multiple factors, including candidate skill, experience, expertise, and location.
✓ Healthcare ✓ Dental ✓ Vision ✓ Learning Allowance
✓ 401K ✓ Flexible PTO ✓ Short Term Disability ✓ Fitness Allowance
About The Company:
Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is well-capitalized by top life science investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, and KdT. The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs, including Dr. Marc Unger, inventor of the Nanoflex™ valve, and former CSO of Fluidigm. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $350 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.
Elegen is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Elegen provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law. All applicants have rights under the following Federal Employement Laws: