Controls Software Engineer
Elegen is blazing a path towards a biology-based economy with a highly innovative approach to DNA synthesis that delivers an industry leading length of 7kb in 7 business days with a 99.999% per base accuracy. Our multidisciplinary team of best-in-class biologists, chemists, hardware, and software engineers apply cutting-edge technologies and methods to solve critical bottlenecks in synthetic biology workflows to help our customers in pharma, biotech, agbio, and biomanufacturing streamline their work and realize the full potential of programmable biology.
We are seeking a talented and self-driven senior controls software engineer to bring our DNA synthesis instrument to new levels of performance and usability. The successful candidate will join a multi-disciplinary team. They must be able to comprehend and write software for a variety of layers and domains, from low-level control algorithms, sensors, and actuators to high level business logic and workflows.
- Design, implement, and test control software for a microfluidic DNA synthesis instrument.
- Help design self-test and calibration procedures for its manufacturing, deployment, and end use.
- Collaborate with other R&D teams and end users to come up with improvements and fix deficiencies.
- Assist production teams with testing and troubleshooting.
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
- 3+ years of experience in software development.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or another engineering discipline. Graduate degree preferred.
- Able to work onsite in San Carlos, California.
- High proficiency with both C++ and Python.
- Experience developing full life cycle, production-quality control software for complex hardware.
- Able to contribute to high-level software layers (business logic, state control, and the user interface) as well as lower-level algorithms and hardware control.
- Experience developing multi-threaded and real-time control software.
- Adept at creating object-oriented designs.
- Conscientiously follows best practices, including adhering to coding standards, developing automated tests, and consistently achieving well-structured, clean implementations.
- Able to work in a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary environment, regularly collaborating with domain experts.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Knowledge of machine vision, real-time motion control, and/or microfluidics.
- Experience with Linux, QT, OpenCV, Numpy, git, Docker, Jira.
Salary and Benefits:
The annual base salary compensation for this role, if based in California is: $125,000 - $170,000. Compensation may be different in other locations. Final compensation also includes bonus, equity and benefits. Specific offer packages are determined by multiple factors, including candidate skill, experience, expertise, and location.
✓ Healthcare ✓ Dental ✓ Vision ✓ Learning Allowance
✓ 401K ✓ Flexible PTO ✓ Short Term Disability ✓ Fitness Allowance
About The Company:
Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is well-capitalized by top life science investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, and KdT. The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs, including Dr. Marc Unger, inventor of the Nanoflex™ valve, and former CSO of Fluidigm. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $350 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.
Elegen is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Elegen provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law. All applicants have rights under the following Federal Employement Laws: