Senior IT Specialist
Title: Senior IT Specialist
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Supervisor: Director of IT
Checkerspot is a biotechnology company that designs high performance ingredients and materials for a better planet. Our Wing® Platform enables our biology and design labs to develop, test, and commercialize award-winning products that aim to reduce global dependence on fossil fuels and other unsustainable sources of oil. We seek to accelerate the adoption of renewable, biobased products that engage directly with consumers to show and prove what is possible in hard goods, textile finishes, and personal care. Founded as a public benefit corporation in 2016, and earning B Corp Certification in 2020, our team is committed to high standards of purpose, accountability and transparency.
Our company culture can best be understood through experience. Come get to know us! We’d like to be known more by what we do than what we say.
We are in search of a dynamic and experienced IT Specialist to join our team in a senior capacity. This role demands a high level of expertise, professionalism, and a problem-solving mindset. The ideal candidate will exhibit exceptional technical proficiency in computer hardware and software troubleshooting, coupled with a natural ability to adapt and multitask in a rapidly evolving environment. The primary responsibility of this role is to ensure the seamless operation of our IT systems, with a specific focus on Mac and PC environments, as well as Netsuite integration within our Warehouse and Manufacturing, integrated production, DTC, and commercial operations. This position requires a positive attitude and a commitment to delivering exceptional customer service, which is especially critical in the context of a startup like Checkerspot. High-performing individuals will find abundant opportunities for career growth.
- Provide comprehensive IT support services, encompassing user account setup and maintenance, system patching, antivirus management, system imaging, and resolution of PC and Mac-related issues.
- Oversee the implementation and maintenance of critical IT infrastructure components, including Meraki Network, SaaS applications, Communication Systems, Authentication and Single Sign-On (SSO) systems.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for desktop-related issues in Salt Lake City, Alameda, and remote locations, ensuring swift response and maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Monitor IT Service metrics, evaluate user experience and provide meaningful analysis on continuous service improvements.
- Manage new hire onboarding processes, including the creation and management of local/online accounts for various applications, computer deployment, office setup, and conducting new hire IT Orientations.
- Execute onboarding and offboarding tasks in accordance with IT Standard Processes.
- Maintain an up-to-date inventory of IT equipment, ensuring accurate records and reconciliation with financial data.
- Develop and document standard processes for incident response and service requests.
- Provide support for Netsuite and various business applications, including On-Sip, Envoy, and Adobe apps, in collaboration with different departments.
- Develop cross-functional relationships with key stakeholders within the company.
- Investigate and resolve emerging issues while developing systematic solutions to reduce common problems.
- Proficiency in ITSM framework with expertise in incident and problem management (ITIL Foundation certification is a plus).
- 5+ years of experience working as a Senior Desktop Support Engineer or in a similar role.
- 3+ years of experience supporting up-to-date Windows and MacOS environments.
- Strong problem-solving skills related to operating systems and enterprise systems.
- 3+ years of experience in an administrative role for at least one directory service, such as Google Workspace, Microsoft Azure Active Directory, or Okta.
- Strong fundamental knowledge of networking and security protocols.
- Proactive mindset, ensuring ownership of supported areas and delivering high-quality results while maintaining a strong service mentality.
- Proficiency with web conferencing tools.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain productive and professional relationships with end-users, with a strong service-oriented mindset.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving capabilities, with a creative approach to finding solutions.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, especially in nuanced situations.
- Strong project reporting skills, emphasizing interdepartmental communication.
- Ability to prioritize and organize daily workloads and adapt to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, rapidly changing startup environment.
- Familiarity with scripting languages (Powershell, GAM, etc.).
Checkerspot offers its employees a competitive benefits and compensation package.
Checkerspot is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.